HOME · HISTORY · AROUND TOWN
FUN STUFF · NEW
SAINT JOHN FIRST
- Canada's oldest incorporated city,
founded by the United Empire Loyalist, 1783.
- Home of Moosehead Breweries.
- Home of the late industrialist
K.C.Irving, self made billionaire and one of the riches men in the world.
- Location of the 1985 movie, Children of
a Lesser God.
- The birthplace of Walter Pidgeon and
Donald Sutherland and childhood home of Louis Mayer.
- Home of the Canadian Hockey Association's
Atlantic Centre of Excellence.
- Home of Canada's largest oil refinery.
- Home of the second largest bilingual
workforce in New Brunswick.
- Ranked as Canada's Premier City for
Business by the Globe and Mail's Report on Business Magazine and The Best
Business City in Atlantic Canada by the Canadian Federation of Independent
Business for its pro-business attitude.
DUMP BOX FOR TRUCK
INVENTOR: Robert T. Mawhinney
(Patent No. CA 203,004, August 17, 1920)
This invention was
instrumental in the development of our present trucking industry. To create
this first dump truck, a mast was mounted between the cab of the vehicle and
the dump box. A cable was threaded over a sheave at the top of the mast and was
connected to a winch at the base of the mast and to the lower front end of the
dump box. The dump box was pivoted at the rear end of the truck frame. A simple
crank handle was used to operate the winch, which raised the front end of the
dump box, dumped the load, then lowered the box. A hydraulic system has since
replaced the crank handle, but the basic, concept has remained unchanged.
- Canada's first incorporated city, created
by Royal Charter - 1785.
- First Common-Law market in Canada,
created by Royal Charter - 1785.
- First biscuit factory, established in
- Canada's first fire insurance company -
Munso Jarvis, established 1801
- Canada's first Chartered bank - 1830
(Bank of New Brunswick).
- First penny newspaper in the
Empire,"Saint John News", established in 1838 (tri-weekly) by George E
- First compound marine engine developed by
Benjamin Tibbets - 1842. The "Reindeer" was the first vessel to be propelled by
a compound steam engine, i.e., one in which high and low pressure steam were
combined. Tibbets was granted $100 for his work by the Legislature of the
Province of New Brunswick.
- Canada's first Y.M.C.A. established in
1870 by Mrs. Agnes A. Blizzard, in a house on Germain Street.
- The "Long reacher" skate invented by
James Welply advanced the 19th century speed skating tradition - mid 1850's.
- Canada's first industrial exhibition -
1851. (This is the same year as the Great Exhibition at the Crystal Palace in
London, organized by Prince Albert).
- First public museum in Canada opened in
1842. Known today as the New Brunswick Museum, it was originally called the
Gesner Museum, after its founder Abraham Gesner, a Nova Scotia-born doctor
credited with the invention of kerosene.
- First police union in the world was
formed in Saint John in 1919.
- 1927, Wallace Turnbull invented the first
variable-pitch aeroplane propeller and went on to pioneer developments in
aeronautics at his home in nearby Rothesay. The Saint John Airport is named in
his honour. He also designed boats and invented the first wind
- First female Canadian Golf Champion, Miss
Mabel Thompson - 1902.
- First female commercial air pilot in
Canada - Mrs. Tony Shelfoon (nee Daphne Peterson).
- First Miss Canada Mrs. Harold Drummie
(nee Winnie Blair) - 1923.
- First postage stamp album in the world
invented by Robert Reid - 1853. The original is now at the Collector's Club in
New York City.
- First public playground in Canada which
was started by Miss Mabel Peters. This playground is known as the Allison
Ground Playground in Rockwood Court.
- First Minister of Health of the British
Empire, Hon. W.F.Roberts, M.D.
- First monitor top railroad cars in the
world invented by James Ferguson. The original model is in the New Brunswick
Museum in Saint John.
- First Knights of Pythias in British
- Miss Katie Broad, first lady to get a
diploma in agriculture - 1915.
- First Board of Fire Insurance
Underwriters in Canada 1865.
- First overshoes in Canada brought to the
country by Francis and Vaughn.
- First orchestra to accompany a silent
moving picture on the North American continent was by Walter Golding in the old
nickel theater, May 1907.
- First wire nails in Canada were
manufactured by Penders Ltd. 1891.
- First soda crackers in Canada by T.
Rankine amp; Sons, Church Street 1823.
- First Boy Scout Apple Day in the world
organized by Eli Boyaner on January 30, 1931.
- Mrs. R. J. Hooper was the first woman to
sit as a member on the Board of Health in the British Empire.
- First automobile fire harness invented by
- Saint John Mallard House - first
Legislature of the Province convened on January 3, 1786. In the largest room of
the Mallard House the first dramatic performance in New Brunswick was held on
March 28, 1789. The plays were "The Busy Body" and "Who's The Dupe?"
- First steamboat in the province built at
Portland Point and launched in May 1816, was named General Smyth.
- First name for the city was Carleton
(which is now termed West Saint John).
VORTEX-FLUSHING TOILET BOWL
INVENTOR: Thomas McAvity
Saint John, New Brunswick
(Patent No. CA 108,017, October 15,
The patent for this invention describes a
series of oblique openings in the rim of a toilet bowl to form a vortex during
flushing, thus providing a selfcleansing effect. Today, most makes of toilet
bowls have this feature or otherwise generate this same vortex
- Canada's first vocational school was
erected on Douglas Avenue.
- Saint John's first social club was on the
corner of King Street and Market Square and known as the "Exchange Coffee
House" It was owned by William George Cody.
- The Admiral Beatty was Saint John's first
large and modern hotel.
- The first common clerk in Saint John was
Bartholomew Crandall (1785-1790).
- The first recorder appointed in Saint
John was Ward Chipman (1785-1800).
- The first Chamberlain in Saint John was
George Leonard (1785-1787).
- The first issue of Saint John's "The New
Brunswick Magazine" July 1898.
- Saint John's first large and modern post
office was completed 1915.
- First burial grounds. Graves were marked
with wooden head boards near King's Square 1785.
- Oldest head stone in Saint John - Conrad
T. Hendricks - 1784.
- First grave digger was Edward Burr.
- Saint John's first fort built by a white
man was Fort LaTour (Fort Sainte Marie).
- First church built by Presbyterians - on
a grant of land on the north side of Queen Street (numbers 1-10 of today) from
the government of Nova Scotia June 29, 1784.
- First Mayor of Saint John was the Hon. G.
Ludlow, appointed April 4, 1784.
- First episcopal church, old Trinity,
began in 1788 - corner stone was laid by Rev. Dr. Inglis, first Anglican Bishop
in North America. The church was opened for use on Christmas Day 1791.
- First Roman Catholic services in the
city were held in City Hall, Market Square in 1813. St. Malachi's chapel opened
- First member of the Royal Family to visit
Saint John was the Duke of Kent, father of Queen Victoria - June 16,1794.
- First grist mill in Saint John built soon
after the Loyalists arrived in 1784.
- First Grammar School in Saint John -
1805. This Grammar School was later called Saint John High School.
- First National School in Saint John -
- First Girls School in Saint John - 1819.
- First businesswoman in Saint John was Ann
Mott. She printed the Gazette and New Brunswick Advertiser, January 11, 1815.
- Portland Point was the first French
settlement in New Brunswick.
- First pre-Loyalist English-speaking
people settled in Saint John in 1762 with Simonds, Hazen & White (fur
- Saint John's first major railway was the
European and North American Railway. Construction began in 1853 and was
completed in 1860. The railway ran from Saint John to Shediac, New
- First sod broken of the European and
North American Railway March 17, 1857.
- First train ran north on the railroad
for three and one half miles, the length already constructed in
- Saint John's first water supply came from
Lily Lake in1838 after many previous unsuccessful attempts, carried by a flume
of wood to a pumping station at the foot of Brussel Street.
- First gas works commenced in
- Streets first lighted in 1845
- First lumberman in Saint John was John
Glasier, son of Benjamin Glasier - 1799.
- First steam fog whistle in the world was
invented by Scotsman, Robert Foulis in 1854. It was erected on Partridge Island
in 1859 to aid approaching mariners in determining their direction.
- First suspension bridge in Saint John
completed in 1853 spanned Reversing Falls.
- First rector in Saint John from Royal
Gazette, August 1 1786, Rev. George Bisset
- The first clock to be placed in the Tower
of Trinity Church was in 1812.
- First Ball held at McPherson's Coffee
House on King Street, 1784.
- Saint John had first cut-rate grocery and
first resident dentist in the Province of New Brunswick.
- First ship built in Saint John was the
"Alfred" Frigate built in 1785 and registered in London, August 28,
- First attempt at shipbuilding was by John
Simonds in 1775.
- John Lawton was the first Loyalist to
engage in shipbuilding.
- First importation of pig iron into Saint
John by Hams and Alla. From it was cast the first Franklyn Stoves in New
- First tanner in Saint John was William
Melick - 1790.
- First hydrographic survey of the Saint
John Harbour in 1761.
- First manufacture of soap and candles in
1785 by Asa Blakslee.
- June 1817 - corner stone of the first
brick building (Disbrow building) was laid.
- First case of cholera reported in June
- April 1784, first recorded marriage in
- February 1785, first execution in Saint
- First telephone in Saint John was
installed December 1879 by Western Union Telegraph Company, on the corner of
King Street and Chipman Hill.
- G.A. Maguire was granted patent for a
"toothpaste holder" in 1937.
- First dyke at Marsh Bridge
- In 1840 Prof. L.A. Laurcat started the
first balloon ascension in Canada from Barrack Square. Tickets for select seats
were four shillings.
- First building erected as a theater in
Saint John opened January 15, 1856.
- First home for the aged was W.O. Smith
House on Germain Street, 1871.
- First Loyalist child born in Parr Town
was Benjamin Stanton. He was born on King Street in a tent where the horse
fountain now stands.
- June Clark was the first woman in Canada
to run for United Church ministry 1945.
- First Dry Dock customer was the Norwegian
Steamer MH Kongsheven under Captain John Palander.
- First quarantine station in Canada
- First waterfront union in Canada
- First National Historic Streetscape in
Canada, Prince William Street - designated in 1981.
- First Boys and Girls Club of Canada was
founded in Saint John circa 1902. Second club in Canada was formed in
HOME · HISTORY · AROUND TOWN
FUN STUFF · NEW