HOME · HISTORY · AROUND TOWN · INFO BOOTH · FUN STUFF · NEW BRUNSWICK

Saint John New Brunswick


The elegant old homes of Saint John, New Brunswick

figurehead stone work door carving

Below are a few samples of hand drawn sketches
of some of the sites seen on the Victorian Stroll.

site of Barlow's Corner   Barlow's corner was originally granted to James Putnam, who had studied law with John Adams in Boston and was appointed Assistant Supreme Court Judge in 1784. Mr. Putnam erected a splendid three-storey building with a store on the lower floor. Mr. Putnam died and the lot was sold to Ezekiel Barlow, who had to comply with some unusual terms of sale. The price was $2,000 in Mexician Silver Dollars, to be counted in coin before Ward Chipman the lawyer. To the great merriment of the public, Mr. Barlow procured a wheel-barrow and pushed his considerable load up Chipman Hill to the lawyer's office.

wood carving

Meckleburg Street    The entrance to #2 Mecklenberg Street. This imposing home was built in the 1890's by another Saint John ship owner, Robert Thompson, of William Thompson and Company. Thompson was also the Imperial German Consul at the time. Note the ornately carved door and entranceway and the terra cotta family crest on the side of the building with the latin motto, loosely translated, "Patience Conquers." Beautiful stained glass windows can also be seen, particularly at night.

Leinster Street   112 Leinster Street, a rather delightful structure, this house is also Queen Anne style, built in 1904 for Walter Frink, the manager of the Western Assurance Company.

Mecklenburg Street   37 Micklenberg Street, built immediately following the Great Fire, this second Empire structure has been owned throughout its life by only three families. Like most Second Empire roofs, this one is built of slate shingles, most likely the originals.

gargoyle

King St. Residence   218 King Street East, William Peters was a man who enjoyed a King St. address. He lived in two other homes on the street before building this home in 1885. Mr. Peters is listed in the City directories of the day as being an employee of C.H. Peters and Sons, commission merchants and manufacturers of leather goods. Note the face carved above the front door and others carved below the cornices.

60 Pitt Street   60 Pitt Street, this richly detailed, gaily decorated house also predates the Great fire. The ornate wood carving is typical of the high quality craftsmanship which was available from wood carvers who applied their talents with equal skill to both ships and buildings.

192 - 196 King St. East   192 and 196 King St., looking at these two houses today, one would hardly believe they were built as a matched pair in 1878. Unfortunately, 196 was altered and the original charm destroyed. The homes were built for Thomas McAvity and his son Thomas Jr., of Thomas McAvity and Sons, brass Founders and Hardware Merchants. The firm was established in 1834 as a hardware and general merchandise company. In 1863, at the height of the wood ship building industry in the City, the firm expanded and established a brass foundry to supply ship fixtures. The firm grew to international renown as a foundry by the turn of the century, but closed its doors in 1977, shutting down the 10-acre plant.

166 - 168 King St. East   166 - 168 King Street, not many buildings have the distinction of being featured in an architectural journal. In 1878, the year this structure was built, its plans were featured in an issue of the American Architect and Building news. The house was designed by the relatively unknown architects Henry Clark and John Briggs. The first occupants, the Taylor's and Dearborns, had the first letters of their respective family names carved above the doorways for posterity.



   If you would like to learn more about Saint John's past, be sure to check out Trinity Royal.com a designated Historic District, is full of history and lies in the heart of uptown Saint John.

HOME · HISTORY · AROUND TOWN · INFO BOOTH · FUN STUFF · NEW BRUNSWICK