HOME · HISTORY · AROUND TOWN · INFO BOOTH · FUN STUFF · NEW BRUNSWICK

Saint John, New Brunswick
VINTAGE GALLERY-2

   A collection of old images from the past, some are dated and others are just old! If you would like to contribute to this page with some of your old favorites of the city you can contact us at Webmaster and we'll be glad to add them to this page.
   Images below were taken from the NB Heritage @ http://www.gnb.ca/scripts/culture/heritage/imgidsrch-e.idc?ID=0

Market Square at the foot of King St. in 1898
Market Square at the foot of King Street in Saint John is seen here in 1898. This photo comes from the Saint John Steroscopes collection of the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick.
Reversing Falls-undated
A wooden boat passes beneath cantilever and suspension bridges spanning Reversing Falls in saint John, in this undated photograph. Construction of the suspension bridge began in 1851, and was open to public use in 1853. The bridge was supported by 10 steel cables, five on each side, stretched over roller and saddle arrangements and rested on the tops of four sandstone towers. The bridge continued to be in use until 1915. This photo comes from the Saint John Steroscopes collection of the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick.
The steamer May Queen circa 1900
The steamer May Queen is seen here at Robertson's Point, circa 1900. Built in West Saint John in 1869, the May Queen, a paddlewheeler, acquired an engine from the Forest Queen, and her usual run was Saint John, Salmon River and Chipman. The paddlewheeler was wrecked in 1904 on Bailey's Point, Grand Lake, during a storm. This photo comes form the Isaac Erb Photographs collection of the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick
Manchester Robertson Allison Ltd
Manchester Robertson Allison Ltd, in Saint John, is seen here circa 1930. Known simply as MRAs to the locals, the business was established in 1866. Located on the corner or King and Germain streets, the directories of the time listed the company as selling gent's furnishings, floor coverings, house coverings, house furnishings and furniture. This photograph comes from the New Brunswick Travelogue Photographs collection of the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick (171-2).
The paddle wheel steamer New Brunswick
The paddle wheel steamer New Brunswick was launched at Carleton on May 18, 1839. The first master was Capt. Robert Wiley. Later it was captained by James Becker. The ship was eventually converted to a barge. This photograph comes from the Fenderson collection of the Provincial Archives of new Brunswick.
Market Square circa 1930
Market Square in Saint John is seen here circa 1930. Among the visible items are the Memorial Tablet marking the landing place of the Loyalists in 1783, an old British Garrison gun made in 1823 during the re-armament period, which followed the Napoleonic Wars, and the SPCA fountain. This photograph comes from the New brunswick Travelogue Photographs Collection of the Provincial Archives of New Brunswick (P171-7)
Customs Building
A photo of the the Customs building taken before the Great Fire of 1877.
The sinking of the CP Steamship Beaverhill in the Saint John Harbour 1944
The photo above was taken by Gord Seely back in 1944 of the CP Steamship "Beaverhill" as it sank in the Saint John harbour.

Fran Mayby top left - Betty Maybey top row 3rd from left - Mack Moore bottom row 3rd from the left - Woman with Scout Leader uniform in middle row I believe is Marge Maybey
Information about this old photograph of Scout Leaders from Saint John New Brunswick, written by Betty Maybey from Campobello Island. Betty Maybey was the wife of a Baptist Minister.
I imagine it was in the 50's at a Scouters (Leaders) Conference, at the Lord Beaverbrook Hotel - we went to them every year- Ted and Fran Maybey were leaders at Victoria Street Church Scouts and Marge; Ted's wife was a Cub leader - she is next to the woman in the white coat on the right. Eli Bonaner is the short man in the front row, Abe Goss ( David's father and Marion his mother are second row on the left end - Eric Teed and Lois are in the picture too. Photo and info submitted by Wayne Archer
If anyone has any thing further to add regarding this photo please drop us a line.

HOMEBACKNEXT

HOME · HISTORY · AROUND TOWN · INFO BOOTH · FUN STUFF · NEW BRUNSWICK