Fredericton, then called Ste.
Anne's Point, was the Capital of Acadia from 1692 to 1698. On behalf of the
French King, Governor Villebon erected Fort Nashwaak to protect its French
inhabitants in 1692.
On February 22, 1785, Governor Thomas
Carleton formally changed the town's name to "Fredericstown", in honour of
Prince Frederick, Duke of York, second son of King George III. The name was
quickly shortened to Fredericton.
Oscar Wilde once
lectured in City Hall.
Because Bliss Carman, Charles G. D.
Roberts and Francis Joseph Sherman, were born and raised here, Fredericton has
been dubbed the Poets' Corner of Canada.
Benedict Arnold once lived in Fredericton. His negotiations with the English
were arranged by Jonathan Odell, a Fredericton Loyalist who published Canada's
first English poetry.
John F. Kennedy and his brother
Robert Kennedy both received honorary degrees from the University of New
The largest public holding of paintings by
Cornelius Kneghoff can be found at the Beaverbrook Art Gallery in
Noted naturalist John James Audubon stayed at
Government House in Fredericton in 1830, where he painted some of his famous
bird portraits. One of his works - "The Pine Finch", is permanently displayed
in the Library of the Provincial Legislative Building on Queen
The fountain in front of City Hall was erected in
1885. That makes "Freddie, the little nude dude" - as the ornamental cherub on
top has since been nicknamed - two years older than the Statue of
The Old Burial Ground in the centre of downtown
Fredericton contains graves dating from 1787.
level of City Hall was an Opera House from 1876 until the 1940's. Many
travelling entertainers and local performers appeared on its
Fredericton has enjoyed a fall fair since 1825.
Today's version is called the Fredericton Exhibition - FREX for
Fredericton is the Pewtersrnith Capital of Canada,
if not all North America.
The NB College of Craft &
Design (on Queen St.) is the only one in Canada exclusively devoted to training
The Old Arts Building at the
University of New Brunswick is the oldest university building still in use in
Founded in 1785, the University of New Brunswick
and the University of Georgia, are the oldest provincial/state universities in
Each year five New Brunswickers are
inducted into the New Brunswick Country Music Hall of Fame. This historical
photo display is located in the lobby of the Victoria Health Centre, Brunswick
In 1918 the New Brunswick Provincial Government in
Fredericton established Canada's first Ministry of
The first engineering school in Canada was
established at UNB in 1862.
The foundation of Christ
Church Cathedral, laid in Fredericton in 1845, was the first entirely new
Cathedral foundation to be established on British soil since the Norman
Conquest of 1066.
The Brydone Jack Observatory is one of
the oldest astronomical observatories in Canada. It was established in
Fredericton at King's College, now UNB, in 1851.
first English novel - St. Ursula's Convent - was written in Fredericton during
the early 1800's by Julia Beckwith.
Willie O'Ree of
Fredericton was the first black hockey player in the
Mrs. John Black founded the first chapter of the
Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire in Fredericton on January 15,
John Hamilton of Fredericton invented the railway
Fredericton High School is the oldest English
High School in Canada (est. 1785) and the largest in the British Commonwealth
with a student population of more than 3,000.
With a flash of scarlet and a
skirl of pipes, history comes to life! Tuesday through Saturday during the
months of July & August a re-enactment of the Changing-of-the-Guard
ceremony takes place in Officers' Square and at City Hall. The full guard
changes at 11 am and 7 pm, the Sentry changes every hour on the hour, and every
Thursday morning at 11, a local dignitary conducts an Official Inspection. The
Guard dates back to 1793 when Governor Carleton formed the first New Brunswick
Regiment, soon after renamed the Royal New Brunswick
For more information, please contact the Tourist
Information Centre at City Hall, or call 506
Fredericton Outdoor Summer Theatre presents their
Calithumpians in free Theatre-In-The-Park! Expect humorous and historical fare
for which the Company is famous. Officers' Square, Historic Garrison District.
12:15 weekdays and 2pm on weekends & holidays. Rain Venue: Barracks Square
Four great shows run in rotation
For more information call 506
Folk, country and bluegrass on green grass - pipe
bands, concert bands - the summer music series has it all! During July and
August open-air concerts are presented in Officers' Square Tuesday and Thursday
evenings at 7:30. The Fredericton Society of St. Andrew Pipe Band and the
Fredericton Concert and Marching Band are among the series' top-notch
The concerts are free and everyone is
welcome. Bring a folding chair or blanket to enjoy the concert in comfort.
For more information call 506 452-9616.
The Calithumpians of Fredericton's outdoor Summer
Theatre provide complimentary one hour escorted walking tours of the city.
Historic costumes and dramatic commentary make them memorable. July 1 - Sept.
1. Tours begin at City Hall Mon. - Fri. at 10 am, 2 pm, 4 pm & 7pm. Sat.
& Sun., lOam, 4pm & 7pm.
For more information call City Hall
Tourist Information 506 452-9616.
Fredericton is the
Poets' Corner of Canada. As the birth place and home of Bliss Carman, Sir
Charles G. D. Roberts, and Francis Joseph Sherman - leading figures in Canadian
poetry and literature - the city enjoys a distinctive literary
Bliss Carman, born in Fredericton on April 15,
1861, was the son of William Carman, registrar of the provincial Supreme Court;
and Sophia Bliss, a distant relative of Ralph Waldo Emmerson. He found the
government activity and the great natural beauty of Fredericton ideal poetic
stimulation. Carman attended the University of New Brunswick and Harvard. His
poetry is marked by its simplicity, optimism, and celebration of the spiritual
and sensual qualifies of nature, and his poetic landscape is filled with New
Brunswick shapes and colours. Carman is credited with creating the real
beginnings of a distinct Canadian literature. The major romantic literary
movement he helped to launch significantly influenced the direction of Canadian
poets and writers.
Charles G. D. Roberts, a clergyman's
son, was born in Douglas, just outside Fredericton. He attended the University
of New Brunswick with his cousin Bliss Carman, with whom he often shared his
poetry. In 1935, Roberts was the first Canadian poet to be knighted. His
wonderful writings of the Tantramar area, and his compassionate poems of New
Brunswick's natural beauty won him other honorifics, including The Bard of
Tantramar, and Poet Laureate of Canada. With Carman, he firmly established a
Canadian style of verse.
A part from being a successful
banker, Frances Sherman (1871-1926) is best known as the author of a small,
classical collection of poems that are technically skillful and rich in nature
Although no tours are available, some
interesting sites related to Carman, Roberts, and Sherman can be found at:
809 George Street - Carman's birthplace.
83 Shore Street - Carman's adult
home. (The rear of the house faces the street because the pass the other end of
734 George Street - the home of Canon Roberts and his famous
literary family, including Sir Charles.
745 George Street - Little Glencoe-
the home of Roberts' sister, Elizabeth Roberts MacDonald, also an accomplished
The Old Arts Building, UNB - Both Carman and Roberts
graduated from here when this building constituted the entire university. Some
of their works and photographs are on display in the great
The Harriet Irving Library, UNB - In front of the
library a cairn honours Fredericton's native literary sons and celebrates the
city's Poets' Corner of Canada designation.
Hill Cemetery - where, Carman, Roberts, and Sherman are buried.