Province of New Brunswick

Site Map -  Complete index to site
What's New - on this site
Tourism NB - Tourism information on New Brunswick
Information NB - all about New Brunswick
Fun Stuff - Free stuff, humor, recipes & more!
Photo Gallery - A picture guide of New Brunswick
Message Center looking for a loved one or just want to say hello this is the place for you!
NB Links - All things New Brunswick, over 2,500 links to choice from!
NB Genealogy - Track your New Brunswick roots here!
Free NB Guide - You can order it free right here!

new-brunswick.net logo
Tombstone found in an old cemetery in rural New Brunswick
What's in a Name-New Brunswick

Page 1 2 3

Sackville
Stately Georgian architecture overlooks the park-like campus where swans bathe in a fountain's spray.    By the early 1740s the Acadians had established three settlements in the area: Pré des Bourcqs, or Bourgs; Pré des Richards; and Tintamarre. Following the expulsion, New England Planters, settlers from Yorkshire and Loyalists took their place. In typical New England style, the first town meeting was held "on 20 July 1762 at the house of Charity Bishop."
   Sackville township was proclaimed in 1772. It was named for George Sackville Germain, first Viscount Sackville (1716-1785), who served as colonial secretary from 1775 to 1782. The name itself is Norman in origin, and may be traced to Saqueneville, near Rouen in Northern France.
   Sackville is the home of Mount Allison University, established in 1839 and the first university within the present Commonwealth to grant a degree to a woman. This honour fell to Annie Grace Lockhart (1855-1916), who graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in 1875.
   The town was incorporated in 1903.
   Sources: Places and Names of Atlantic Canada (1996) by William B. Hamilton.

Prince of Wales
   The area was settled following the American Revolution by members of the Prince of Wales, Regiment, thus giving rise to the place name. The settlement predates the visit of Edward, Prince of Wales, to New Brunswick in 1860. The latter event is sometimes erroneously cited as the explanation for the name.
   Sources: Places and Names of Atlantic Canada (1996) by William B. Hamilton.

The Wolves
   The Wolves refer to a series of three islands in Passamaquoddy Bay: Eastern Wolf Island, Flat Wolf Island and Southern Wolf Island. They have been associated with the designation Wolf since at least 1707 when they so appeared on the Captain Cyrian Southack map.
   However, there is a much earlier Glooscap legend accounting for their presence: Once, while watching three wolves chasing a deer and a moose, Glooscap noted that the pursued animals were tiring, whereupon he changed them all into islands. Deer Island, New Brunswick and Moose Island, Maine, remain side by side in the bay; the three wolves are still in pursuit off shore.
   Sources: Places and Names of Atlantic Canada (1996) by William B. Hamilton.

Campbellton
City of Campbellton   Sir Archibald Campbell (1769-1843) served most of his life in the British army, and, like so many officers, received his reward in the form of of the lieutenant-governorship of New Brunswick (1831-7).
   Although historian James Hannay's indictment of Campbell – "No governor of New Brunswick has ever been less in sympathy with its inhabitants" – is overly harsh, Campbell's arbitary rule and stubborn resistance to the transfer of crown land control to the province help explain his unpopularity. One of his supporters, the merchant baron of the Restigouche, Robert Ferguson (1768-1851), suggested that Martins Point be renamed Campbellton for the lieutenant-governor.
   Sources: Places and Names of Atlantic Canada (1996) by William B. Hamilton.

Pull and Be Damned Narrows
   The name arose from the difficulty experienced in rowing or paddling against the ebb tide in the Letang River, located east of St. george. A similar name, Push and Be Damned Rapids, is found in Gloucester and Northumberland counties for rapids on the Nepisiguit and Southwest Miramichi rivers. These names depict the problems encountered in attempting to paddle a canoe against the on-rushing water. Sources: Places and Names of Atlantic Canada (1996) by William B. Hamilton.

St. Croix River
Kayaking down the St. Croix River   The St. Croix River rises in the Chiputneticook Lakes and flows 120 kilometres southeast to Passamaquoddy Bay, forming a part of the boundary between New brunswick and Maine.
   Discovered in 1604 by Pierre Du Gua de Monts and Samuel de Champlain, the first settlement in acadia was built on an island in the river, now known as Dochet's Island. (It is today part of Maine.)
   They called both the island and the river Sainte-Croix because, upon exploration, they found that the river had three branches that formed an irregular cross. The first year on Ile Sainte-Croix was a disaster. Of the 79 settlers who attempted to 'overwinter', 39 died from scurvy by spring. In the summer of 1605 the settlement was abandoned, the buildings dismantled and moved across the Bay of Fundy, to Port-Royal.
   For years following the American Revolution, the boundary between New Brunswick and Maine was in dispute. In 1797 the Americans put forward the claim that the St. Croixc River, mapped by Champlain, was in reality the Magaguadavic, while the British insisted that the river then called the Scoodie (now the St. Croix) constituted the boundary. The matter was settled when Thomas Wright (ca 1740-1812), later surveyor general for Prince Edward Island, discovered and excavated (with the aid of Champlain's map) the foundation of the ill-fated outpost on Dochet's Island, thus verifying the British claim.Sources: Places and Names of Atlantic Canada (1996) by William B. Hamilton.

Aroostock; Aroostock River
   A tributary of the Saint John River. The name orginates with the river and is of uncertain Maliseet origin. It may be derived from "Woolastook," the Maliseet designation for the St. John River. It appears first on DeRozier's map of 1699 as "Arassatuk" and has been translated as "good river for everything." The contemporary spelling dates from 1854 with the establishment of the post office.
   Sources: Places and Names of Atlantic Canada (1996) by William B. Hamilton.

Meductic
   On the west bank of the St. John River, near the Carleton County boundry. Derived from the Maliseet Medoctic. Alan Rayburn gives its meaning as "the end, in reference to the portage from Eel River."
   The area was visited in May 1686 by Bishop Jean-Baptiste de La Croix de Chevrières de Saint-Vallier (1653-1727) en route to Port-Royal on a pastoral visit. He wrote: "Megogtek is the first fort in Acadia."
   The present spelling has benn in use since the mid 19th-century.
   Sources: Places and Names of Atlantic Canada (1996) by William B. Hamilton.

Bay du Vin
   William B. Hamilton writes: The bay is an extension of Miramichi Bay. A number of theories exist to explain this place name. The most logical is given by Alan rAyburn, who suggests that it is "probably corrupted from baie des ventes meaning 'bay of winds' ... not in reference to wine." Site of an Acadian refugee camp after the fall of Fort Beauséjour and the expulsion of the Acadians in 1755.
   Sources: Places and Names of Atlantic Canada (1996) by William B. Hamilton.

Disappointment Lake & Mistake Cove
   Southeast of South Oromocto Lake, Disappointment Lake is sometimes called by the name "Mistake Lake." In Passamaquoddy, it was called Esquagamook, or "End Lake."
   Mistake Cove is adjacent to Long Reach. In Maliseet Utsaluk or Skoee bodek. Mistake Cove was named by Capt. Edward McCoy, a loyalist from conneticut. The cove is a narrow indentation of five kilometres long and can be easily mistaken for a channel in Long Reach, which is exactly what happen to Capt. McCoy, who drew just that conclusion in 1763. It was formerly called "Coy's Mistake" and "McCoy's Mistake." The narrow marshy terrian seperating it from Long Reach is Mistake Intervale. Mistake Point is between Mistake Cove and Long Reach.
   Sources: Places and Names of Atlantic Canada (1996) by William B. Hamilton.

Peekaboo Corner
   North of the village of Norton. The local explanation for the name is that it refers to the fact that a house once obscured the visibility of travellers at the crossroad in the community.
   Sources: Places and Names of Atlantic Canada (1996) by William B. Hamilton.

Boiestown
   "On the southwest Miramichi, near the York County boundary. In 1832 Robert Cooney wrote: 'Mr. Thomas Boies, an active and enterprising American, lately established a village, popularly called Boiestown after its founder.' Established as a company town, it included, in addition to the Boies sawmill, a theatre, a non-denominational church, and workmen's houses. Boies sold his interest in the company in 1835. the post office dates from 1940."
   Sources: Places and Names of Atlantic Canada (1996) by William B. Hamilton.

Sussex Corner
Sussex, New Brunswick   We are not certain who named Sussex, N.B., but according to William B. Hamilton's Places and Names of Atlantic Canada, Sussex was named in honour of Prince Augustus Frederick, Duke of Sussex (1773-1842), sixth son of King George III and Queen Charlotte. Any resemblance between England's Sussex and our own appears to be a happy coincidence.
   Sussex's first settlers were from New England (another "England"!), and were later augmented by loyalists.
   The parish was established in 1786, and the town incorporated in 1904.


Cape Enragé
Cape Enrage, New Brunswick   The name for the cape which extends into the Shepody Bay is one of the oldest names on New Brunswick's Bay of Fundy coast. It is an early French descriptive 'cape of rage,' indicating that stormy conditions are often encountered in the area. Appears as C. aragé (Franquelin-DeMeulles 1686) and as Cape Enraged (Des-Barres, 1779).
   Sources: Places and Names of Atlantic Canada (1996) by William B. Hamilton.



Maquapit Lake
   Maquapit Lake (near Grand Lake) is of Maliseet origin. There seems to be agreement that it means "red lake." Usually such place names are descriptive of the colouring of the rocks or the water. I can find no verification of another meaning; however, it's just possible that it "might" be a reference, as suggested, to the prevalence of poison ivy and what it can do to the skin!
   Sources: Places and Names of Atlantic Canada (1996) by William B. Hamilton.

Mont - Farlagne
   Mont-Farlagne near Edmundston in the former village of St-Jacques has no recorded origin. However, tales told by local senior citizens speak of the probable origin of the name. In earlier days, lots of land granted by the province usually began near the rivers, which were in those days the man means of travelling. The other end of the lots was commonly known as the "far line." Since records were in the English language, French settlers mistook the designation as "Farlagne." Thus, today the mountain back of St-Jacques is known as Mont-Farlagne and host the well-known Mont Farlage Ski Resort.
   Sources: Laurent and Francine Jalbert.

Centreville
   Northwest of Woodstock. A common description found throughout Atlantic Canada and, in this instance, indicative of its location equidistant from nearby villages. The post office dates from 1862.
   Sources: Places and Names of Atlantic Canada (1996) by William B. Hamilton.

Campobello Island
   Campobello Island Located in the Bay of Fundy, northwest of Grand Manan, Campobello Island was originally known by the Passomoquoddy name Ebaghuit ("lying parallel to the land.") and later called "Great Island of the Passamoquoddy" by Captain Cyprian Southack in 1733. In 1770, a grant of the island was made to Captain William Owen (1737-1778) of the Royal Navy. Owen named the island in 1770. He later wrote:
    "I renamed the island Campobello, the latter partly complimentary and punning on the name of the Governor of the Province, Lord William Campbell, and partly as applicable to the nature of the soil and fine appearance of the island, Campobello in Spanish and Italian being, I presume, synonymous to the French Beau-Champ."


Christmas Mountains
   In the 1960's, Arthur F. Wightman, a provincial surveyor, was the New Brunswick member of the Canadian Permanent Committee on Geographical Names. At the time he was contemplating 10 fairly prominent hills in north-central New Brunswick.
   Wightman was in his office in Fredericton. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer was playing on the radio.
   Wightman was studying a map. A squiggly line was labelled North Pole Stream. That's what the lumbermen who worked the back country had called it, because of its icy waters.
   But it was a stream of consciousness, triggered by the song on the radio, that inspired Wightman. The 685-meter-high peak at the head of the stream would be, naturally, North Pole Mountain. The other nine, he decided, would immortalize the reindeer in the 1949 song.

Hampstead
   Hampstead is located on the old St. John River Road, Highway 102, approximately 65 kilometres from Saint John. It was settled by loyalist from New York in 1786. Hampstead was named by Richard Hewlett after Hampstead, Long Island, New York.
   Sources: Places and Names of Atlantic Canada (1996) by William B. Hamilton.

Reversing Falls
   Saint John's Reversing Falls is created by theReversing Falls, Saint John rise and fall of the Bay of Fundy tide and the flow of water from the St. John River.
   This descriptive name has been attributed by Alan Rayburn (who published Geographical Names of New Brunswick in 1975) to poet Sir Charles G. D. Roberts, who wrote a description of its reversible character in 1882.
    This location has always held a Wulustuk (Maliseet) name, origin and identity. Thus it was Gooscap who created the falls when he cleared away a dam erected by enemies. Non-believers may still see a piece of the dam, now called Partridge Island, at the harbour's mouth.

The information below was taken from the "Reader" found in the Times Globe every Saturday.

Page 1 2 3

Navigational Bar Apply for your Free New Brunswick Tourism Guide here! Track your New Brunswick roots here! An index of over 2,500 links from New Brunswick Drop us a note, we'd love to hear from you! Images of the Picture Province of New Brunswick Games, jokes, cartoons, screen savers and more, all free for the taken! General information on the province of New Brunswick Tourism information on New Brunswick Find out recent changes made to the site. A full breakdown of what this site has to offer1 Enter