Province of New Brunswick

Site Map -  Complete index to site
What's New - on this site
Tourism NB - Tourism information on New Brunswick
Information NB - all about New Brunswick
Fun Stuff - Free stuff, humor, recipes & more!
Photo Gallery - A picture guide of New Brunswick
Message Center looking for a loved one or just want to say hello this is the place for you!
NB Links - All things New Brunswick, over 2,500 links to choice from!
NB Genealogy - Track your New Brunswick roots here!
Free NB Guide - You can order it free right here!

new-brunswick.net logo
Mask carved by the artist Ned Bear, New Brunswick Museum, Saint John, New Brunswick
What's in a Name-New Brunswick

Page 1 2 3

Passamaquoddy Bay
   Passamaquoddy Bay-New BrunswickTraceable to the Passamaquoddy Peeskutam-akadi or Peskutu-maquadik, meaning "the place where pollack leap entirely out of the water." The name was originally applied to the waters seperating Campobello, Deer and Moose Islands, and was later transferred to the entire bay. One of the earliest references, Pesemouquote, is found in the Jesuit Relations (1675). It appears as Pesemonquady on the Franquelin-DeMeulles map of 1686, and as Pesmoucadie on the Cocagne chart of 1749. By the end of the eighteenth century, the contemporary spelling is verified by the George Sproule chart of New Brunswick (1799). Of Passamaquoddy, Esther Clark Wright has written: "The bay is an extraordinary maze of channels and tide rips which alone would make a unique and fascinating area. But in addition... it is a location where the past is always present in place names bestowed so long ago, in the international boundary line, not seen but ever protruding."
   Sources: Places and Names of Atlantic Canada (1996) by William B. Hamilton.

Douglas
   There are several communities in New Brunswick named after Sir Howard Douglas (1776-1861), lieutenant-governor of New Brunswick. These include Douglastown (Northumberland); Douglas Harbour (Queens); Douglas Island (Charlotte); Mount Douglas (Queens); and Douglasfield (Northumberland).

Grande-Anse
Grande-Anse-New Brunswick   Grande-Anse is a common place name repeated throughout New Brunswick and other parts of Atlantic Canada. It is an Acadian description and refers to an "indentation or cove in theline of a coast or shore, rounded in form and small in size."
   Sources: Places and Names of Atlantic Canada (1996) by William B. Hamilton.

Oromocto
   The name of the river is derived from the Maliseet "Welamooktook," meaning "good river for easy canoe navigation." Earlier spellings were "Ramouctu" and "La Rivière Kamouctu" (Freneuse seigneurial grant, 1684). "Oromocto" was given by Charles Morris in 1775 and has been the spelling from the early 19th century onwards. Oromocto Island and Oromocto Lake take their name from the river. The town of Oromocto, incorporated in 1956, is the headquarters for Canadian Forces Base Gagetown.
   Sources: Places and Names of Atlantic Canada (1996) by William B. Hamilton.

Nauwigewauk
   Like the Nashwaak River, Nauwigewauk (in Kings County) is derived from the Maliseet word Nahwijewauk, of uncertain meaning. Nauwigewauk is located on the Hammond River, a tributary of the Kennebacasis River.
   Sources: Places and Names of Atlantic Canada (1996) by William B. Hamilton.

Plumweseep
   Located east of Sussex, Plumweseep was originally named Salmon River. However, since there were many other locations with this name in New Brunswick, it was decided during the course of railway construction to go with a translation, back to the Maliseet for Salmon River, Plumwe-seep'.
   Sources: Places and Names of Atlantic Canada (1996) by William B. Hamilton.

St. George
St. George, New Brunswick   On the Magaguadavic River; named for the patron saint of England. The names stems from the parish, which, in turn, was inspired by the presence nearby of place names dedicated to other saints. Known for a time as "Magaguadavic," and later as "Granite Toen," for the presence of red-granite quarries in the area. The town was incorporated in 1904.
   Sources: Places and Names of Atlantic Canada (1996) by William B. Hamilton.

Goldsmiths Lake
   The lake is adjacent to Highway 1; Goldsmiths Stream flows into the Waweig River. Both features were named for Loyalist Henry Goldsmith, who settled here in 1784. He was a nephew of the Anglo-Irish poet, novelist and playwright Oliver Goldsmith (1728-1774). In 1796 the family moved to Halifax. Henry's son, named Oliver Goldsmith (1794-1861) for his grand-uncle, also aspired to be a poet, but had limited success. New Brunswick poet Fred Cogswell has noted that Goldsmith's The Rising Village was "the first volume of verse by a native-born Canadian to receive serious attention at the hands of critics." Unfortunately, his work thereafter was " undistinguished and makes the reader view Goldsmith's retirement from verse-making without regret."
   Sources: Places and Names of Atlantic Canada (1996) by William B. Hamilton.

Apohaqui
   Apohaqui, in Kings County, was first known as "Mouth of Millstream" for its location in relation to this feature. William Frances Gagong suggests the name, of Maliseet origin, is probably their name for Millstream, but possibly it may mean the junction of two streams." The post office was opened in 1869. Apohaqui is the birth place of former premier Frank McKeena.
   Sources: Places and Names of Atlantic Canada (1996) by William B. Hamilton.

Gagetown
The Queens County Museum, Tilley House, Village of Gagetown   Gagetown, located approximately 50 kilometres east of Fredericton, was named in 1765 for General Thomas Gage (1721-1787), one of its original grantees. Following service in the Seven Years War (1756-63), Gage became military governor of Montreal, and later, upon the outbreak of the American Revolution, was appointed governor of Massachusetts.
   On May 17, 1767, Gage divested himself of his vast holdings on the west bank of the St. John River. As quoted by W.O. Raymond: 'For ten pounds current money of the province of New York his 20,000 acre grant was transferred to Stephen Kemble,' and the area was thereafter known for a time as 'Kemble Manor.'
   Sources: Places and Names of Atlantic Canada (1996) by William B. Hamilton.

Grand Manan Island
   Swallowtail Lighthouse, Grand Manan Island - Phare Swallowtail, Óle Grand MananThe name is derived from a combination of Amerindian and French sources, in particular, the Maliseet-Passamaquoddy word "Munanook," meaning "island," to which the French added the prefix Grand to distinguish it from Petit Manan, in present-day Maine. The original French name assigned by Champlain was "Menane." It appears on Franquelin-DeMeulles map of 1686 as La Grand Menane. The contemporary name, Grand Manan Island, is consisitent from the late 18th century onward. In local conversation, "Island" is usually dropped in favour of simply "Grand Manan."
   Sources: Places and Names of Atlantic Canada (1996) by William B. Hamilton.

Maugerville
   This New England Planter settlement on the east bank of the St. John River, below Fredericton was first known as Peabody for Francis Peabody, an early grantee. The name was changed to honour Joshua Mauger (1725-1788), a native Jersey who established himself as a merchant in Halifax during the period 1749-61. Later he became the agent for Nova Scotia in London. In 1763 he was successful in securing for the New Englanders along this stretch of the river formal title to their lands. Thus the community was re-named Maugerville in his honour.
   Its importance in the evolution of New Brunswick has been outlined by Esther Clark Wright: "The New England pattern of living would have been only a minor factor in New Brunswick but for the Maugerville settlers and their diffusion throughout the province. The Maugerville settlement was successful because it was formed by a closely knit group, with religious ties, and experience in a not dissimilar environment. The Maugerville settlers came because they wanted to come. They succeeded because they wanted to succeed."
   Sources: Places and Names of Atlantic Canada (1996) by William B. Hamilton.

Evandale
   Evandale, is located in Kings County on the west side of the St. John River opposite Eagles Nest. Following the american Revolution, the community was named Wordens, for New York Loyalist Jarvis Worden (circa 1756-1842). The contemporary name dates from the establishment of the post office in 1886. Lord Evandale, a character in Sir Walter Scott's Old Mortality, amy well have prvoen the inspiration for the community's current name.
   Sources: Places and Names of Atlantic Canada (1996) by William B. Hamilton.

Point la Nim
   This place name is a bit of a puzzle and does not appear to be of direct French origin. The best explanation is to consider it a corruption of a Mi'kmaq designation for "lookout place." This is a logical explantion, as many Mi'kmaq and Maliseet palce names were descriptive of the landscape.
   Sources: Places and Names of Atlantic Canada (1996) by William B. Hamilton.

Gin Hill
   Located near Nason Brook, in the northern sector of Victoria County, Gin Hill is named for a 19th century incident in which "two workers had their load of logs upset on this hill and a case of Geneva gin...was partly destroyed; (later) the horses returned without the men, and a search party found them drinking gin at the foot of the hill."
   Sources: Places and Names of Atlantic Canada (1996) by William B. Hamilton.

Saint John
Saint John, New Brunswick   Prior to being called Saint John, the city was called Parrtown on the east side and Carleton on the west. The two sides joined and chose the name Saint John. The city was incorporated on May 17, 1786, with the un-abbreviated "Saint," as the correct spelling, perhaps to differentiate it from St. John's, Quebec. However the "Saint" was often abbreviated to "St."
   The Telegraph Journal used the "St." up until March 14, 1925. Here is the article that appeared in the paper on that day:
   "Since the suggestion was made recently that the city revert to the old name of Parrtown, there has been much discussion as to the desirability of so radical a change. Along with leading businessmen and citizens, the Telegraph Journal is of the opinion that the best way at the moment to make the name of the city distinctive is to spell out the name Saint John instead of the abbreviated form that has been prevalent, and beginning with today's issue the Telegraph Journal will in future use the extended form, already being used by many business houses with the hope that it will become universal."
   On April 28, 1925 common council endorsed the unabbreviated form of Saint John for the city. The Saint John Globe and Telegraph Journal had already made the change.
   Many believed the full spelling of Saint, in Saint John, was used to differentiate between Saint John, N.B. and St. John's, NFLD,; however, while it may have played a part in seeking a more distinct form of the name, Newfoundland did not join the Confederation until 1949.
   The choice of Saint John for a name is due to its location at the mouth of the St. John River, which was named by Samuel de Champlain, when he landed, at what we call "Market Slip" today, on the festival of Saint John the Baptist.
   The Maliseet called this area "Menaqesk," which means "where land meets the sea."
   Sources: Dr. Peter Toner, UNBSJ;Places and Names of Atlantic Canada (1996) by William B. Hamilton; Telegraph Journal files; linguist Emelda Perley.

Plumper Rock
   Plumper Rock, northeast of Point Lepreau, was named after the HMS Plumper. On Dec. 5. 1812 HMS Plumper with a cargo "of much specie on board" was wrecked on this navigational hazard. In the tragedy 50 people lost their lives. The contemporary Bay of Fundy Pilot still advises mariners to "give this rock a berth of at least half a mile."
   Sources: Places and Names of Atlantic Canada (1996) by William B. Hamilton.

The information below was taken from the "Reader" found in the Times Globe every Saturday.

Page 1 2 3

Navigational Bar Apply for your Free New Brunswick Tourism Guide here! Track your New Brunswick roots here! An index of over 2,500 links from New Brunswick Drop us a note, we'd love to hear from you! Images of the Picture Province of New Brunswick Games, jokes, cartoons, screen savers and more, all free for the taken! General information on the province of New Brunswick Tourism information on New Brunswick Find out recent changes made to the site. A full breakdown of what this site has to offer1 Enter