- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons finely minced shallot
- 1 1/4 cups soft bread crumbs
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 seven-ounce cans minced clams, drained
- 1/2 cup finely minced celery
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 egg, beaten and diluted with one tablespoon water
- Fat for deep-frying.
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan and saute the shallot in the
butter until soft but not browned.
2. Add one-half cup of the bread crumbs,
the lightly beaten eggs, the cream, clams, celery, lemon juice, parsley, salt
and pepper. Chill the mixture at least two hours.
3. Shape into eight
two-inch cakes. Dip the cakes into the remaining crumbs and then into the
remaining egg. Coat the cakes with crumbs a second time. Allow the cakes to dry
out for fifteen minutes.
4. Fry the cakes, a few at a time, until golden
brown in deep fat heated to 375 degrees. Drain.