If you like mussels, you'll love this recipe, this one
is from Prince Edward Island.
Preparation time: 30-40 mins
- 4 lbs. mussels, cleaned and debearded
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated or 3/4 cup parmesan cheese
1. Remove beards from mussels and rinse well. In a large covered
saucepan, cook mussels in small amount of boiling water for 6-8 mins, or until
2. Preheat oven to 375 deg F.
3. Remove meat from shells
and place in buttered 6-cup baking dish for pan. Season with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle with onion and lemon juice.
4. Cover with chopped bacon and
sprinkle with cheese.
5. Bake at 375 deg for 15-20 mins or until bacon is
On a sunny day, roll up your pants and stroll
along the shoreline during low tide: you're sure to find bluish-black mussels
clinging to the rocks in shallow water...there for the taking. And you're sure
to find these tender mollusks truly delectable...a subtle blend of the delicate
tastes of clams and oysters (although the cooked meat is usually sweeter). Try
this traditional recipe for mussel bake, a favorite way of preparing and
serving this delicious shellfish throughout PEI.