Soaking Time: 6-8 hours
Cooking time: 6-7
- 2 cups dried white pea beans
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup salt pork, finely diced (or bacon)
- 2 tbsp. vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup mild flavoured molasses
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- pepper to taste
1. Pick over and wash beans thoroughly. Soak beans in cold water
2. Place beans, and water in which they were soaked, in saucepan
and simmer for 1/2 hour.
3. Place beans in bean pot or casserole dish; add
all ingredients. Mix well. If desired, add some boiling water to cover beans.
4. Cover pot and bake in a slow oven at 250 deg F-300 deg F for 6-8 hours,
removing cover during last 1/2 hour of baking.
5. Add boiling water 2-3
times to keep beans moist and covered with liquid; stir occasionally. Do not
add water during last 1/2 hour of baking.
The rich aroma
of baked beans will flood the mind memories of a cold winter's day..and the
cozy comfort of a warm kitchen with a crackling woodstove stocked with
firewood. And a crock of hearty baked beans has always been a welcomed
meal...especially when served with fresh homemade bread. (Boy, does that sound